Friday, October 16, 2009

Love to Cook Thursdays - Mississippi Mud Cake by Terri


This week's challenge is for my favorite category - Chocolate. I really think it needs it's own food group! Since I have already blogged my Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, my irresistible Butterthumbs Recipe, my yummy Milk Chocolate Pie Recipe, and my low calorie Chocolate Eclaire Recipe this week I decided to prepare Mississippi Mud Cake - a recipe that I only recently came across in an old family cookbook. I haven't made it in years so a couple weeks ago I made it for Life Groups and it was a huge success so I thought I'd prepare it again. As luck would have it - I took a flu shot on Friday - and started feeling the first symptoms of the flu at Give Away Day on Saturday. So I will have to share the photos from the Mississippi Mud Cake I made a couple weeks ago. They aren't quite as good as I would like but I better not cook for anyone until I'm over this junk. I hope you will try this incredible ooey, gooey, chocolate cake. It is so decadent! If you are a true chocoholic like I am you will add it to your collection of favorite recipes.

From the kitchen of: Terri Fonville

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (opt.)
2 sticks butter (melted)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
7 oz. jar Marshmallow Cream
Memaw's Fudge Frosting

Combine eggs and sugar in mixing bowl. Mix at high speed for 5 minutes. Add butter, flour, cocoa, vanilla and coconut to mixture and mix well. Pour into 13"x9" floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.


Remove from oven and spread 7 oz. jar marshmallow cream over top of hot cake. Let set a couple of minutes and frost while still warm.

Memaw's Fudge Frosting:
1 stick butter (melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 T. milk
4 cups confectioners sugar (sifted)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Mix all ingredients in a microwaveable bowl. Original recipe calls for heating on stove top until bubbly. This time I cooked in microwave for about 3 minutes on high. Stir. Spoon over cake and swirl with marshmallow cream.

Enjoy!

Walk with God!
Terri

No comments: