Friday, April 10, 2009

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies by Terri

This photo is of some of my Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
that we served in the "Sweet Buffet" at Lori & Jon's wedding.

When I was in High School my mom began working as a bookkeeper for Kimball Oil Company in Ft Worth. While mom was working there she and her fellow co-workers would occasionally exchange recipes. My Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie started as one of these recipes. Mom worked with a young woman who grew up in a "Carny" - one of those carnivals that traveled from shopping center to shopping center across the country. Patti shared the "carny" version of Chocolate Chip Cookies. Over the last 35 years I have altered the recipe so much that I'm not sure Patti would even recognize it if she saw it. Jerry claims I just like to make each recipe my own, changing ingredients to accommodate our family's likes and dislikes. Mom says that no one makes chocolate chip cookies as good as mine. I just like to say that it’s all in the recipe. One that has been perfected over time. I really think the final change I made was the best. I switched one bag of regular Toll House Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips for a bag of Tollhouse Mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips. Now you get chocolate chips in every bite. Yum-o!

I love watching the reaction people have when they try this cookie for the first time! I'll never forget the first time Jerry's brother Dale tried one. He slipped the first cookie from the container hoping no one was watching, bit into it, and then grabbed a handful. Almost as if he couldn't believe they were so delicious! His reaction is a common one. The cookie has just the perfect blend of gooey chocolate chips & nuts.

I thought you might like to try making this treat for your family. But first I must warn you - once they've tried it - you'll be making it often.

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
From the kitchen of: Terri Fonville

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups softened butter
1 1/3 cups Crisco
2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs (Fresh eggs work best!)
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
6 cups flour
1 - 12 oz pkg. Toll House Mini-morsels semi sweet chocolate chips
1 - 6 oz. pkg. Toll House Semi sweet chocolate chips
1 - 6 oz. pkg. Toll House Premier white morsels
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions:
Mix shortening, butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, soda and salt. Stir well. Gently fold in chips and nuts.

Place dough in the refrigerator and chill thoroughly approximately 2 hours before baking. (I try to make dough a day ahead to allow it to chill thoroughly.) Drop by ice cream scoop onto ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes (depending on your oven).
Note: I place mixing bowl back into refrigerator to keep extra dough chilled while waiting for cookies in the oven to bake. I always double this recipe – these cookies disappear so quickly!
Walk with God!
Terri

No comments: