Thursday, October 1, 2009

Love to Cook Thursdays - Angel Biscuits


This week we celebrated Dave's 30th birthday. As a special treat I decided to bake another old family favorite - Angel Biscuits. This is another recipe that I have not made in years. I was reminded of it when we attended a family shower for Casey Hall. They served Sister Schubert's Dinner rolls with our barbecue. This recipe is a homemade version of these rolls. They truly melt in your mouth. No one can eat just one!

Angel Biscuits
From the kitchen of: Loriece Roberts
5 1/2 cups flour - reserve 1 cup flour for rolling out
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup Crisco
1 pkg. dry yeast, dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water & 1/4 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve 1 pkg. dry yeast in 1/4 cup very warm water.
Stir in 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda & salt. 


Cut in Crisco until mixture looks like small pellots.
 
Add buttermilk & dissolved yeast to dry ingredients. Mix well.  

Sprinkle flour onto board. Knead dough 10 times. 
Roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter.  

Melt 1 stick of butter. Spread melted butter over biscuits and fold in half.  

Place on cookie sheet and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. 
Recipe makes about 2 dozen nice sized rolls.

Note: Dough can be stored in the refrigerator for several days or place uncooked rolls on cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen remove rolls from cookie sheet and store in air tight plastic container placing parchment paper on bottom of container and between rows of rolls. Store in freezer.
Note 2: Because I was expecting 11 for lunch, I doubled the recipe this time so all the photos show double the amount of the above recipe. I made this on Saturday night and stored in the refrigerator over night. When I put the rest of lunch in the oven I checked on the refrigerated rolls and noticed how they had spread out in the container and looked like they might be difficult to remove from the container, so I popped the containers in the freezer for about one hour before getting them out and onto the cookie sheets.  
Note 3: Next time I make them ahead I will just go ahead and freeze the rolls and get out what I need when I am ready to bake them. I will probably lightly brush the tops with melted butter since these rolls don't brown much on top. When cooked from frozen you will need to cook an additional 5 minutes. Done when brown on bottom.
Enjoy!
Walk with God!
Terri




No comments: