Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Soup making 101 - Old Fashioned Beef Stew by Terri

No one can resist a steaming bowl of beef stew on these cold winter evenings.  This weekend I made a big pot of old fashioned beef stew. Each time I make this recipe it turns out a little different depending on what I have in my pantry & freezer.  I thought I 'd give you the basic recipe and hope you will feel free to substitute your family's favorite veggies & meat when you make it.  This time I am using some 1/2 inch thick steak that I found in the clearance section of Kroger's meat dept. since it was $3.00 a pound cheaper than stew meat. I frequently use roast as the meat in my soup & stews. I also forgot to buy the angel hair Cole slaw so I left it out this time.
From the kitchen of: Terri Fonville
2 - 3 lbs. beef (your choice of cuts)
3/4 cup flour (for drenching meat)
lime pepper
1/2 cup Crisco  (or whatever oil you prefer)
1 large chopped onion
2-3 chopped sweet peppers
1/2 stick light butter
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can fire roasted tomatoes with chilies and peppers
1 can fire roasted tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1-2 cans Campbell's tomato bisque soup
2 - 3 bags frozen veggies 
1 can black beans
1 can Ranch Style beans
1 bag angel hair Cole slaw (optional)
Trim off fat and cut into small cubes. Generously season with Lime Pepper.
Melt Crisco in a large heavy stew pot.
Drench in flour.
Drop meat carefully into hot Crisco.
Cook until meat turns a dark brown.
Drain excess fat onto a plate covered with 3 squares of folded paper towels.
Return meat to stew pot and cover with tomatoes.
Add beans.
Chop a large onion and a couple sweet peppers on a clean cutting board with a clean knife.
Chop into small pieces.
Melt light butter in small nonstick pan.
Saute onions & peppers in light butter.
Cook until onion & peppers are tender.
Add the onions and peppers to the stew.
Add mixed veggies. (This time I used summer 1 bag of summer blend)
And 1 bag of store brand mixed veggies.
Mix carefully.
Prop lid on top and cook at low/medium temp. for 1-2 hours stirring every 20 minutes..
Stew is done with carrots are done and meat is tender.
Serve with crackers. Yummy!

Enjoy!

Walk with God!
Terri





No comments: