Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Love to Cook Thursdays - Rice Cooker Jambalaya by Terri


Several months ago Kim,a friend at church introduced me to Jambalaya. Kim is from Louisiana and fixed her grandmother's Jambalaya for our Lifegroup. The first time she fixed it I must admit I took a very small portion since I'm not crazy about spicy Cajun seasoning. Needless to say I went back for more after tasting this delicious dish. She generously shared her recipe with me and I have already made it twice. It is quickly becoming one of our favorite dishes. With the cold weather we've been experiencing lately, I thought it would be the perfect recipe to share with you.
From the kitchen of: Kim Crawford
2 cups raw rice
1 can beef bouillon (beef broth)
1 can beef consommé
1 stick butter or margarine
1 lb. smoked sausage (I prefer skinless smoked sausage)
1 lb. raw shrimp (optional)
1 can mushrooms
1 medium chopped onion
1 bell pepper (chopped) (I use mini orange and yellow peppers)
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
Place rice, beef broth, beef consommé & mushrooms into rice cooker.
Thinly slice the smoked sausage.
Add sausage to rice cooker.
Thinly slice a stick of butter & a green onions and stir into rice cooker.
Finely chop bell peppers and stir into rice mixture.
Top with Cajun seasoning. (I added about one and a half teaspoons.)
Add Worcestershire Sauce. (I added a couple tablespoons.)
Mix all ingredients together.
Press Cook. (On my cooker you have to choose white or brown rice.)
Cook until buzzer goes off.
Serve straight out of cooker or spoon into serving dish.
Enjoy!
Walk with God!
Terri

No comments: